Monday, August 3, 2009

The downside to city living


Last week, my car was broken into. Nothing stolen, just some punk kids or a homeless person decided to bash in my passenger window. This morning, my best friend Kim's car was broken into. They broke the window, stole her car stereo, ipod, GPS, and over $300 in makeup.


I talk a lot about how great it is to live in SF. The culture, the divirsity, the nightlife, the weather, the restaurants...but there is a downside. I don't know who broke into Kim's car or mine, but you have to be pretty desparate to resort to that. The amount of homeless and people living below the poverty line in SF is ridic. Whenever you have that, you have stupid crimes like these. And no, I don't live in a bad neighborhood. I live in a quite good neighborhood but no neighborhood in SF is immune to this happening. You could walk through Pac Heights and see shattered window glass on the sidewalk.


The moral of the story is, if you have valuables in your car, hide them. Even if you don't see them as valuable, someone else might. Keep your seats and floor clean of any visible items. Don't give them an excuse to break in.


Sorry, Kim. A lousy couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment