Thursday, September 17, 2009

PARK(ing) Day - Cute, but annoying


Living in San Francisco, I have learned to appreciate the precious 5'X15' real estate known as a parking space. I usually do not have too much trouble finding parking when I get home from work but should I come home a little early, or a little too late, I could drive around for a half hour trying to find a spot.

The group Rebar, a San Francisco art collective has started a program called PARK(ing) Day where these precious parking spaces are "leased" (about $300 in quarters dumped in over the course of the day) and used as small parks. This started in 2005 when it was discovered that 70% of downtown outdoor space is dedicated to vehicles and only a fraction of that to the public in the forms of such things as parks and open space.

So, tomorrow, Friday September 18th, you will have an even more difficult time parking in SF as these park people start rolling out sod on your much needed parking space. Don't get me wrong, I think it's noble to try and turn our downtown concrete jungle into a green eutopia but after circling the Moscone Center for an hour, my car just might end up as part of the 5'X15' art display.

No comments:

Post a Comment