Friday, September 11, 2009

Nite-nite: Gertrude Baines 1894-2009


Gertrude Baines, the oldest living person on the planet, died today at 115. She was born on April 6, 1894. Imagine living in the age we do now, with the internet, satellite, television, iphones, etc. and coming from an era where radio was still being introduced to the world. Where horsepower came from horses. What an amazing life.

This is the part that gets me: Her doctor does not know the exact cause of death but an autopsy is scheduled to be performed. Are you kidding me?!?! Umm, Dr. Witt (her physician), save your time and money. I'm going to announce the cause of death right here, right now...ready? SHE WAS ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN YEARS OLD. There. Please add to the death certificate.

By the way, according to the late Gerty Baines (I just gave her that nickname): "I never drank, never smoked, and never fooled around." Good for you Gerty. As for me, looks like I won't be making it to 115. Cheers!

1 comment: