Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Nite-nite: Phil Carey 1925-2009


Phil Carey, who played Asa Buchanan on "One Life To Live" has died of lung cancer. He was 83. When I was a kid I used to watch this with my sister when I got out of school. I always wanted to be like his character. He was a tough, shrewd business man who didn't take any crap from anyone. He was the self made billionaire who came from meager beginnings and made a name for himself and everybody knew it. Asa Buchanan.

Anyway, that was just his character. Phil Carey was a U.S. Marine who started his TV and Film career in the 1950's working opposite some pretty big names. Joan Crawford, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, and Henry Fonda. He took on the role of Asa Buchanan in 1980 and played him until his on-screen death in 2007. Though he did return to film "video wills" - it's the soap world, nobody really dies...well...until they die. A larger than life character that will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment